Friday, September 21, 2012

"I Write Like" Blythe...I hope.

I'm traveling today, wandering around and thinking about the stories I'm writing now. I spend a lot more time thinking than writing, which is part of the reason it can take me a couple of days to compose a sentence. Another reason is that I like shiny toys and the world is full of them.
A week or so ago, a friend reminded me of "I Write Like." It's a shiny toy. You paste in a chunk of writing and it analyses word choice and sentence structure and spitoooee! It tells you which famous author you write like. (For the example below, I pasted in the first 35 pp. of each book)
This is a YA contemporary in progress at the moment...


I write like
David Foster Wallace
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

This is the first novel I ever wrote, also known as the unpublishable book. Damn, I was trying to write like Thackeray.

I write like
Lewis Carroll
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

This is the beginning of something that is formless enough to include both overly-large hats and a sasquatch...

I write like
Stephen King
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

This is BLACK HELICOPTERS.

I write like
Rudyard Kipling
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

...and this is CATCH & RELEASE

I write like
Jack London
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

Turns out THE FREAK OBSERVER and the YA contemporary troublemaker at the top must have some things in common.

I write like
David Foster Wallace
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

So what does it mean?  Probably not much. It would be interesting to take, for example, a single Hemingway story and run it through--might turn out that he writes like Jack London.
Post a Comment