Thursday, June 17, 2010

"I say consider this day seized..." Hobbes to Calvin



If your everyday life seems poor, don't blame it; blame yourself that you are not enough of a poet to call forth its riches; because for the creator there is no poverty and no poor, indifferent place.


--Rainer Marie Rilke, author of  Letters to Young Poet.


Don't worry about living or dying.  Just take a leap into the unknown and enjoy the ride.  I know I sure have.
Shaun Hutchinson, author of The Death Day Letter   
The publication of a book is a reasonable time for a celebration. Some people serve cupcakes. Shaun jumped out of a plane. (Click the link. I beg you...) It's the kind of behavior that makes perfect sense given the book he wrote. 
Shaun wrote the kind of book that reminds us we ought to be busy living. Rilke reminds us that boredom is self-inflicted misery. May we all, like Calvin and Ollie and Shaun and Rainer, carpe diem, each after our own fashion, even if it involves cupcakes.


This tiger lives with an eight-year old boy who seizes every day--and throttles it.
Disclaimer: I don't review books; I only read them.