Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Nonfiction: Author Appreciation Week


The very first thing I need to say is that my previous post about "gentle readers" is also an author appreciation post: My gratitude to Kathe Koja, Christina Meldrum, and Julie Schumacher.

Today, I'd like to take a moment to appreciate authors of nonfiction. As an indexer, my life is a stream of nonfiction--everything from the lives of parasites to the history of the Hubble telescope comes by in the flow. And not a day goes by when I don't read something that knocks me flat with wonder.


I'm surprised at how often bear cubs were traveling companions in wagons jolting across the frontier.

I'm delighted and a little heartbroken to read a letter written on a playing card by a lonely girl in the 18th century.










I'm amazed by the children who built their own telescopes to watch Sputnik flying overhead in the night.











Blood Libel in Damascus, Scooby Doo's sliding feet, bras used as fishing lures, loom weights discovered during the excavation of a Roman brothel, onions and honey... It's all in the wonder cupboard--thanks to nonfiction authors.

My next post will include some authors who were also tasked with teaching me to write.
Post a Comment